Monday, January 30, 2012

The Right Tool

                I don’t like fixing things. Not because I'm incapable, but because it never goes according to plan. The instructions always seem so clear at first. 1) Remove from package. 2) Attach widget. 3) Mount with included hardware. They even have some nice diagrams to go with it.

                Usually, my problem is that I never seem to have the exact tool I need to get the job done. I am slowly filling my tool chest with tools, but I still find myself saying "If I just had that tool, it would make this so much easier". My wife hates this. She thinks I'm just complaining, and wanting to spend money at Sears. She's probably thinking "My dad could do it in half the time with a pocketknife and a stick of gum" I seriously think her dad is actually MacGyver.

                The truth is, the reason 'Dad' is so much more capable than 'Husband', is that Dad has 25 years more tools than I do (Yes, tools are measured in time, not quantity). He also has 25 years more experience using those tools. Tool wisdom, I guess you could call it.

                Its great to have the tool you need, because when you need it, you really need it. It's even more great to know how to use it. You need both to get the job done.

 

 For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart.

Hebrews 4:12 ESV

 

The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom; 
   all those who practice it have a good understanding. 
   His praise endures forever!

Psalm 111:10 ESV

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment