Friday, January 20, 2012

Discernment

I have had a very difficult time the past year, trying to figure out what God would have for my life. Not in the sense of the direction that my personal life would take; instead, how He would call me to be His servant. I have struggled with my own pride, my own feelings about what should be done. I have prayed, and prayed again. I heard nothing, silence. All I knew is that I had to do something.

This is a terrible position to be in. I had everyone around advising me differently, and I had no idea what I should do. Then, yesterday, I realized something. God never said, "Wait until I give you the all-clear", and I was never told to be still. He has given me, through His spirit, the "mind of Christ", not that I should know the thoughts of God, but that I would be able to do His will. All I am called to be is obedient to His commands. Anything beyond that, and I am to use the gifts he has given me to do His work in this world.

When we truly know someone, we are able to discern their desires for us without them speaking to us. In the last 10 years, I have gotten to know my wife pretty well. I know what is expected of me, and she knows what's expected of her. I may get it wrong sometimes, but for the most part, I know her. I know at what point she thinks the trash needs taken out, or the floor swept, or whatever.

In the same way, we are to use the Spirit that dwells in us to guide us. We shouldn’t expect direct instruction, or clear, definite guidance. 

All I can do is be obedient to Him.

 

For who has understood the mind of the Lord so as to instruct him?” But we have the mind of Christ.

1 Corinthians 2:16 ESV

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment